An eventful summer comes to an end…

Well, I can’t believe how fast it has gone by, but this is the the last day of our summer internship with the Zine Collection at Brooklyn College Library! My fellow intern, Devon Nevola, and I have had many great experiences at Brooklyn College Library and on our field trips to other zine collections in the city. I enjoyed processing and reviewing the zines, as well as researching and contacting zinesters to request submissions. So many people have generously donated issues, it is amazing (and their incredible work has inspired me to get back into making my own zine…we’ll see what comes of it)!

Last week we got to participate in the undergraduate orientation by manning the library table and distributing buttons (!) and informational flyers to incoming freshmen and transfers. It was a rollicking good time, and hopefully got many of the newcomers started on the right foot as library users. Our final few days here were punctuated by an earthquake and a hurricane, but luckily both were much less traumatic than they could have been, and we all emerged with stories to tell, but little damage otherwise.

Alycia has been a very supportive mentor to us both, and I really appreciate all the time and effort she spent, introducing us to colleagues, answering our many questions, and just generally letting us in on the culture of the library. She really made the internship experience a two-way street. Alycia is so dedicated to the collection and to the library, and it has been wonderful to get to know her and the other librarians here at Brooklyn College Library. We were really lucky to get to be in on the early stages of this collection and I wish her the very best as it continues to grow.

While the internship will end today, I am looking forward to continuing my relationship with Brooklyn College Library as I will be staying on into the fall semester, as a College Assistant at the reference desk. I look forward to the day, hopefully in the near future, when I can encourage students to explore the Zines in their very own Browsing Collection!

This entry was posted in BCLCollection and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to An eventful summer comes to an end…

1. Pingback: Footenotes » Blog Archive » The Postdiluvian Round-Up

2. Pingback: Round Up! : Footenotes